I have a pain that runs from my mid-left buttocks to the back of my thigh just above the knee, what is this pain? Someone said it maybe my sciatic nerve I have had this since february i notice it when i sit for a long time or when i run, what should I do?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Sciatica

Pain in the distribution as you suggested describes the pattern of the nerve that travels in the leg called the sciatic nerve.
The sciatic nerve is not the cause of the pain source, it is the result of an irritated nerve typically in the lumbar spine (low back) which are caused by herniated disks, spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease requiring further evaluation by a spine specialist.

In brief: Sciatica

Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine

In brief: Sciatica

Sciatica is a definite possibility.
This usually is caused by pressure on the nerve commonly as it exits your lower spine from a disc bulge or herniation, or possibly from a bone spur. Stretching exercises, physical therapy, chiropractic care are all reasonable initial treatments. However, if the pain persists or is associated with more severe symptoms such as numbness, tingling, weakness, or bowel/bladder incontinence -- you need to seek medical attention from an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. Stop running until you figure this out.

In brief: Sciatica

Sciatica is a definite possibility.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine