I need help I am battling depression and it is getting worse. Whats a good medication? I have been dealing with this for about two years now. Depression runs in my family and watching my mother and father both battle with it , i never wanted it to happen

Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Depends

Depression can have different causes, including hypothyroidism.
Methylation problems can also contribute, such as an MTHFR mutation. Test to find out what the cause is. Get genetic testing through 23andme if you have not already done do. If you have MTHFR, I have information on what to do here: Http://drfairchild.blogspot.com/2013/10/mthfr.html

In brief: Depends

Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Need an evaluation

There are a number of good medications, it would be important to be seen by a psychiatrist to evaluate your symptoms, rule out medical causes such as thyroid problems, help you optimize your nutritional status and get you hooked up with talking therapy and adequate sleep and exercise as well as possibly identify the right medication for you.
You really need a multipronged approach.

In brief: Need an evaluation

Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: There

There is not a medication for depression that works instantly.
Medications for depression work by correcting chemical imbalances in the brain, and this takes time. When some people first start taking depression medication, one of the side effects could include feeling more depressed. Keep your parents aprised of your symptoms because if these feelings persist, then your treatment regimen may need to be changed. The fact is, one day a few weeks from now, you'll be going about your business and you will realize that you are not so sad anymore and you feel calm and content. It will be the first sign that the medication is finally working. Take your medication daily, don't miss a day. Ofcourse if you miss a day, do not double up pills, just take your next dose at the time you are supposed to. The medications typically work. Good for you for being proactive. I realize you wish for an instant cure to depression. Stay strong and allow the medication to build up in your system.

In brief: There

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Eric Weisman