Is drooling to much something to worry about my daughter is 5yrs old, and she drools excessively in her sleep. I know people drool while they are asleep, but she drools a whole lot more than the average person. It is to the point that she leaves very visi

Dr. Bonnie Arroyo
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Get an exam

I recommend seeing your dentist, oral surgeon, or otolaryngologist.
Saliva is very important for the health of teeth, however she may be a mouth breather at night possibly due to an obstruction with her nasal passages, or her jaw/teeth not aligning properly leaving her mouth wide open during sleep.

In brief: Get an exam

Dr. Bonnie Arroyo
Dr. Bonnie Arroyo
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: The

The most common reason folks (especially around your daughter's age) drool in their sleep is because they are mouth-breathing.
There are many reasons why she may not be able to breathe through her nose such as allergies, colds, sinus infections, enlarged adenoids and/or enlarged tonsils. Certain medications can also cause increased drooling at night. You should make an appointment with her doctor to discuss this problem and have her examined. Once the underlying problem is taken care of, usually the excessive drooling improves. Good luck! legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: The

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Cindy Juster