Does reducing a fever with tylenol help prevent a febrile seizure? My daughter had a febrile seizure about 6 months ago. I had one doctor tell me that if I control the fever early enough with tylenol it would prevent the seizure and had another doctor te

Prevent seizure. Tylenol (acetaminophen) can help prevent febrile seizures when given early to children whose seizures are triggered by the rapidity of temperature rise or when a child's specific temperature is reached or exceeded. However about 1/3 of children with a history of febrile seizures will have a seizure before an elevated temperature is detected and may be the first symptom of illness..
Febrile. Febrile seizures are quite common - affecting 2%-5% of kids between the ages of 6 months to 5 years. The good news is that almost all kids with febrile seizures do just fine. According to the guidelines for febrile seizure treatment by the american academy of pediatrics, fever medications such as Acetaminophen (tylenol) and Ibuprofen do not prevent febrile seizures. They can, however, make the child more comfortable if she has a fever and doesn't feel well. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.