Can acid reflux cause a sore throat? I have heartburn mostly at night and have a slight soreness in my throat most of the time.

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Acid

Acid reflux can most definitely cause a sore throat.
If you are routinely experiencing symptoms of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (gerd) such as: - heartburn - sore throat - "lump in the throat" sensation or difficulty swallowing - acidic or sour taste in your mouth - dry cough - hoarseness - regurgitation (wet burps) it is important to discuss these symptoms with your doctor. There are many antacid and acid blocker medications that can help alleviate your symptoms. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Acid

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Michael Nordstrom
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Reflux

Yes it can cause sore throat.
See your doctor.

In brief: Reflux

Yes it can cause sore throat.
See your doctor.
Dr. Michael Nordstrom
Dr. Michael Nordstrom
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine