Should i take statin "drugs" ? Heart doctor says take statins for cholesterol. ( has no nutrition background of any significance) . My nutritionist/ chriropractor and kinesiologist say no? ..And their arguments are backed up by doctors, scientists

Dr. Diana Metzger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Depends on history

You have a heart doctor, i assume you have a heart problem. With known cad, studies have demonstrated significant reduction in future cardiac events with statins, even when starting level isn't "too bad".
No drug is without it's side effects, and don't forget, "natural" therapies also have drug effects. Red yeast rice which is often used by nutritionists is an hmg coa reduct. Inhib. Or "a drug".

In brief: Depends on history

Dr. Diana Metzger
Dr. Diana Metzger
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Not for chol. but...

I strongly disagree with taking statins "for cholesterol.
"contrary to popular dogma, cholesterol does not cause heart disease!there is evidence that middle age men with a history of heart disease benefit from statins but no evidence statins extend life & they can have serious side effects.See http://www.Sott.Net/article/242516-heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease & comment:.

In brief: Not for chol. but...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
I'm sure your doctor has good intentions but he is likely unfamiliar with the large body of science showing that statins may do more harm than good in most and are unlikely to be beneficial. See http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/October/Cholesterol-Myth-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease/ for more.
Dr. Ehsan Ansari
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes if heart disease

If you have coronary artery disease and your bad cholesterol (ldl) is greather than 100 you will get significant benifit by taking statin.
On the other side if no coronary artery disease then there is risk assessment calculator by national cholesterol education program that you can use to evaluate your risk and guide you better what to do vis a vis your cholesterol.

In brief: Yes if heart disease

Dr. Ehsan Ansari
Dr. Ehsan Ansari
Dr. Ehsan Ansari
I have been involved with statin clinical studies and as an interventionalist I see the benefit of statin in CAD with plaque regression
Dr. Eugene Yang
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Your

Your question is raised by many of my patients.
The answer is too complex to fully answer in this space. However, in my opinion, there are merits to both sides of this contentious argument, but i try to sit more in the middle. There is good evidence that if you have had a heart attack or have blocked arteries, if you treat high cholesterol levels with a statin, you reduce the risk of additional events or even the risk of death. The question that remains uncertain is how aggressively to lower your cholesterol level, in particular the ldl, or bad cholesterol particles. On the other hand, if you have no history of heart disease, but have elevated cholesterol levels, the scientific literature is more scant. The number of "primary prevention" trials is more limited, although many do show benefits to lowering cholesterol levels with statins. The central question is to determine your risk. There are short-term and long-term risks, and most studies assess short-term risk. Unresolved questions include when do the medications to lower your cholesterol need to be started, specifically what age, and what long-term benefits are there? The studies are difficult to conduct because they would cost too much money, hence they haven't been performed. Finally, our understanding of cholesterol metabolism and heart disease, while enhanced daily with new scientific information, still remains relatively primitive. There are too many factors we don't understand. Thus, our ability to determine whom to treat is a very crude approach based on your risk factors and cholesterol levels. Regardless of this discussion, i always try behavioral changes first, including weight loss, dietary changes, and exercise to lower cholesterol, unless there is a compelling reason to start a medication immediately. Physicians and patients underestimate the impact these interventions alone can have on lowering your cholesterol, if you work together to achieve specific goals.

In brief: Your

Dr. Eugene Yang
Dr. Eugene Yang
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology