Is there an effective non-surgical acne scar treatment that I can purchase over-the-counter? I have some light acne scars leftover from my teenage-years that I would like to eliminate or at least fade them. I do not want to have a surgical procedure done

Acne. There are not many options. One product is vitamin c serum. Usually this is a prescription from a doctor. See a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.
Your . Your options might be determined by your skin coloring, but all sking types will be improved with the use of topical rx tretinoin cream (retin a). It will hydrate and smoot your skin and even out any uneveness of pigmentation. Otherwise do not waste your money on any over the counter medicines, they do not work. Very few other topical rx meds are appropriate. There are at least three kinds of scars: keloid (not you), "box car", and "ice pick". The five most effective treatments are steroid injection, minor surgery (to "release scar from below"), chemical peel, fillers (short term or permanent), and fractional co2 laser resurfacing. You can have close to 100% improvement of your scars if you find the right surgeon or dermatologist that specializes in this issue. Good luck.