Why does a 9 year old girl still potty her pants? Her dad says she does not do this at home but step mom has not let him know about it. He took her to dr. They put her on fiber dinks.

In brief: Time for consult

I would have her PCP evaluate her for chronic constipation/stool retention and overflow soiling.
If your PCP is unfamiliar with the issue, contact a pediatric Gastroenterologist or developmental pediatrician.The various problems that lead up to this symptom are complex, and often take months and years to resolve with proper help.Fiber drinks may help for a while but I never use them with these kids

In brief: Time for consult

Dr. Michael Rupp
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Many Causes

This problem can be caused by many things which range from chronic constipation with explosive bowel movements in between all the way to attention seeking behaviors I children with psychological problems.
It sounds like the doctor thought it was the first and so he put her of fiber drinks to make her stools more regular so this won't happen. If no resolution see pedi GI specialist.

In brief: Many Causes

Dr. Michael Rupp
Dr. Michael Rupp
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Fecal

Fecal soiling is not uncommon - it happens in 1% of school-aged kids - boys more than girls.
The most common reason is constipation. The child may have emotional stress or a painful bowel movement which in turn causes them to not want to go. They then hold it in leading to constipation which can then stretch the nerves and walls of the intestine causing it to be difficult for the child to feel when they have to go or to control it at all. This is treated with stool softeners with the goal of regular, pain-free bowel movements. There are other medical conditions to consider such as inflammatory bowel disease, allergies, hirschsprung's disease or even a diet high in dairy or fat. If her constipation goes away and she is still soiling, her doctor may consider these. Emotional and psychological problems should also be considered if the medical problems have been ruled out. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Fecal

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Adam Levy