My son has had a enlarged lymph nobe will it go away? He has had since he was two years old, and now hes five. We have gone to ear, noise and throat doctor and they told me not to worry about it. I was just wondering if it would every go away

Dr. Robert Stachler
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Lymph node

If the ENT told you it is nothing to worry about, i would not worry about it.
Lymph modes have to be bigger than a centimeter and be hard or spongy to be worrisome. If it is a pea-sized lymph node no worries. As your child grows it may disappear and or become less noticeable. Check it every 3 mos if you can still find it there good luck. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

In brief: Lymph node

Dr. Robert Stachler
Dr. Robert Stachler
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Enlarged

Enlarged lymph nodes or "lymphadenopathy" are very common.
Lymph nodes are part of the immune system and enlarge with white blood cells to fight off infections when they detect a foriegn substance such as a virus or bacteria. (ever notice lumps in your neck with a sore throat?) usually these nodes shrink back down to normal size a few weeks after the infection is over, but can sometimes stay enlarged. No one is quite sure why this happens, but it's usually harmless. The node will never "go away" but it will become less noticeable as your child grows and the node does not. Other illnesses such as autoimmune disease or cancer can cause enlarged lymph nodes, but often multiple nodes are involved, they can get very large, keep growing instead of shrinking and are associated with other symptoms such as fever, chills, weight loss, rash, etc. Presuming that your son has no other symptoms besides this noticeable but unchanging node for 3 years, odds of it being anything dangerous are extremely low. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Enlarged

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Shontae Buffington