I'm 40, and it's tough for me to maintain an erection more than once every few days. Is this normal?

As a man ages, the incidence of erectile dysfunction increases.
This may begin at an earlier age in some males but after the age of 30, there is decline in sexual function throughout a mans life. The severity of the problem is variable from one person to another.

Dr. Moez Khorsandi
Dr. Moez Khorsandi

In brief: No

This is not necessarily a normal part of aging.
Erectiele dysfunction can be the initial sign of cardiovascular disease. If you do not go for routine physical examinations you need one to make sure you do not have diabetes, hypertension, or heart disease. Your doctor can also talk to you about possible treatment options.

In brief: No

Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Arnon Rubin