Can a two week old baby develop an ulcer? I was told my newborn nephew was rushed to the hospital lastnite, the baby stopped breathing. The doctors have the baby in icu and told my brother (the baby's father) that it may be acid reflux desease? Would th

In brief: Reflux in infants

All infants reflux some, a burp is just a dry reflux event.
Some reflux back into their nose & trigger their airway to close to prevent stuff from entering the lungs & baby may choke or hold their breath when this happens. Rarely, they can slow their heart & turn blue. This irritates the swallow tube, but does not cause ulcers.Meds & positioning can help. Most grow out of it by a year or sooner.

In brief: Reflux in infants

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Workup/Diagnosis

There are many conditions which can lead to apnea which is a cessation in breathing.
The ICU will perform testing including monitoring the baby's heart rate, respiratory pattern, and will rule out any infectious or problems in development. Reflux is common at this age, but when the contents reach the airway, it can close temporarily. The ICU can treat baby and monitor for recurrence.

In brief: Workup/Diagnosis

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: It

It would be exceptionally rare for a 2 week old baby to have an ulcer. It is more likely acid reflux disease also known as gastro-esophageal reflux disease which can be common in this age group.
Many babies have gastro-esophageal reflux (ger), but they are characterized as "happy spitters" who grow well. The children with gastro-esophageal disease (gerd)experience painful heartburn from stomach acid which can cause the back arching you describe, irritability and crying with eating, constant crying, food refusal, and frequent spitting or vomiting. Some infants will experience less common symptoms from gerd such as episodes where they stop breathing, hoarse voice, excessive drooling, ear and sinus infections, respiratory problems and poor weight gain or weight loss. Once gerd is diagnosed, it can be treated with antacids, acid supressors or acid blockers. The good news is with treatment, most children do well and outgrow this problem in the first year or two of life. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: It

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Shontae Buffington