I have a cough and sore throat causing hoarseness. What can be done to relieve the hoarseness? I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory ailment and prescribed cough medicine with coedine. The hoarseness started after my dr. Visit. I have been gargling

Laryngitis . Laryngitis is caused by inflammation of the vocal cords. There are a few things you can do to treat laryngitis caused by an upper respiratory virus. - voice rest - probably the best thing you can do. - drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated - hot tea with honey and lemon - or just a spoon-full of honey - honey has been shown to be as effective a cough suppressant as many over the counter medications - inhale steam from a shower or cool mist from a vaporizer - Acetaminophen and/or Ibuprofen can help with inflammation and throat pain laryngitis from a cold virus should improve after a few days. If it does not, of if you get worse or have any difficulty breathing, call your doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Rest it. Your voice is altered from the combination of swelling from the URI and the trauma from the coughing. The best thing you can do is rest your voice until you feel better. The Codeine should help with the cough. Check with an ENT if your voice isn't better within 2 weeks.