I am having laproscopic gallbladder surgery and want toknow if i will have to have a catheter? I am 43 years old and have a very small penis and this issue is causing me a lot of worry. Thanks.

Dr. Andres Katz
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: 95%

95% of patients having elective cholecystectomy in my practice do not require urinary catheterization.
The procedure is usually short, less than 30 minutes and muscle relaxants usually wear off rapidly obviating urinary retention. The exceptions are usually elderly males with prostate enlargement and most of these patients are able to void prior to discharge using and in and out bladder drainage procedure.

In brief: 95%

Dr. Andres Katz
Dr. Andres Katz
Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: If

If you are healthy (other than your gallbladder problem), without symptoms of urinary retention or obstruction, then it is likely that you will not need a urinary catheter.
Many laparoscopic cholecystectomies are done as an outpatient, i.e. A few hours up to 23 hours in the ambulatory surgery area, and the procedure is generally between 1-2 hours. Under these circumstances, a urinary catheter is not usually needed. However, you will have to urinate on your own before being discharged home. On occasions, a "straight cath" may be needed, i.e. A catheter inserted to drain the bladder, if you cannot urinate.

In brief: If

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung

In brief: Usually

Usually for this surgery a urinary catheter is not necessary.
If your surgeon was expecting your surgery to be longer, sometimes a catheter would be used. It is best to ask your doctor before the surgery.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery