I've been told I have pulmonary fibrosis. Is this copd? What is the prognosis and/or treatment? I had a stroke 7 years ago.

Pulmonary . Pulmonary fibrosis is a collection of lung disorders that affect the connective tissue in the lung that cause inflammation and thickening of the support structure of the lung. The areas between the alveoli (the tiny air sacs at the very end of the bronchial tree) become thickened and it is harder to get the oxygen into the capillaries and red blood cells, and likewise it is harder to get the carbon dioxide that we produce out of the capillaries. Pulmonary fibrosis is not copd. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is made up of two disorders normally caused by smoking. These included chronic bronchitis and emphysema. These disorders affect the lung and cause problems in different ways than pulmonary fibrosis. However, some of the end result can be the same: it is harder to get oxygen into the body and harder for carbon dioxide to get out of the body. It is very important to see a pulmonary specialist for pulmonary fibrosis. There are many potential causes of pulmonary fibrosis, including genetic causes. However, there are some disorders that mimic true pulmonary fibrosis so it is really important to have an expert evaluate you. Prognosis and treatment depend on an expert evaluation to determine what your condition really is.