How do I handle a wasp sting for a seven year old? The sting is on the forehead between the eyebrow.

Dr. Bruce Saran
Ophthalmology

In brief: Clean it and watch

Wasp stings cause local redness and irritation.
They bite but leave no stinger. They can get infected by the bacteria living on our skin. Clean it with soap and water and apply topical antibiotic twice a day for 5-7 days. Look for allergic reaction-nervousness, irritability, itching, swelling of the lips or tongue, difficulty breathing. This is rare. Any doubts, go to your doctor or the er.

In brief: Clean it and watch

Dr. Bruce Saran
Dr. Bruce Saran
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Insect

Insect stings are common and usually pose no threat to those who are not allergic to them. If your child is showing any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction such as hives, tongue or throat swelling, difficulty breathing, confusion or shock, call your child's doctor or 911.
If there is no allergic reaction, just the sting, this is what you do: 1.) first remove the stinger if there is one - more common in bees than wasps. Some people recommend scraping the stinger out with a credit card, but if you don't have one on hand, don't worry about it. It's more important to get the stinger out quickly that how you get it out. 2.) wash the area with soap and water and apply and antibiotic ointmenrt. 3.) sometimes ice applied to the area for 20 minutes at a time with a cloth between the ice and skin can alleviate some of the discomfort. 4.) taking an antihistamine such as Diphenhydramine (benadryl) or loratidine (claritin) can help with the itch. 5.) taking Ibuprofen (motrin) or Acetaminophen (tylenol) can help with the pain. Most insect stings don't require any additonal care, but if you have any other specific questions or concerns, please contact your child's doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Insect

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Cindy Juster