Can primary care doctors test my bloody urine to make sure it isn't cancer, or do I need to see a specialist?

Dr. Chris Kyle
Urology
In brief: No
If you have blood in the urine, you need a complete workup: 1.
Upper tract imaging -- most commonly a ct urogram. 2. Urine test for cytology (look for cancer cells) 3. Flexible cystoscopy to look at the bladder #1-2 can be ordered by pcp, but cystoscopy is only done by a urologist.

In brief: No
Dr. Chris Kyle
Dr. Chris Kyle
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Needs evaluation
Blood in the urine can come from a variety of sources of which cancer is only one.
Your primary care doc is a good start if this is your first symptom but do not delay in starting a work up.

In brief: Needs evaluation
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Marsha Davis