Can my doctor tell if I have a hydrocele by doing an ultrasound?

David Miller
In brief: Or a flashlight
A handy way to tell a hydrocele from a tumor is to shine a flashlight behind it.
If it's a hydrocele, the light will shine through the mass whereas it will not shine through a tumor. A handy, quick-and-dirty way to tell if a scrotal mass is a hydrocele.

In brief: Or a flashlight
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. George Klauber
In my experience not reliable because transillumination will light up scrotum and hyrdocele fluid surrounding both testicle and tumor, if present, and provide a false sense of security that no tumor is present. I had a patient in whom testis tumor diagnosis was unfortunately delayed because primary care Dr. thought patient just had a benign hydrocele by only using transillumination
Yes, a scrotal ultrasound will confirm the presence of a hydrocele.
It will also be able to identify any other abnormalities that may be present in the scrotum as well as evaluate the testicles and epididymides.

Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. George Klauber
Transillumination ie using flashlight is not reliable to exclude presence of tumor + hydrocele. Ultrasound can tell us if the scrotal swelling is all hydrocele or if there is also a tumor present.
Dr. Steven Seres