Cardioversion - how long do I need to be on blood thinners before I have the procedure done? I've had atriol fibrulation for approx 2 months

Upon . Upon onset of atrial fibrillation, it will be important for you to be on blood thinners for 4 to 6 weeks to ensure there are no blood clots present in the heart prior to procedure. If there is a blood clot in your heart during the cardioversion procedure, the risk for heart attack and stroke are very high. While on blood thinners, you will have regular appointments to have your blood drawn to ensure therapeutic ranges in the blood. The following blood tests will be assessed: protime and inr, which test how think your blood is. If at anytime, your blood levels are not in therapeutic range (too high - high risk of bleeding or too low - high risk for clot), your dosage of blood thinners will be adjusted.
Still 4 weeks! 4 weeks before and 3 weeks after at a minimum. This is the standard of care. Alternatively, you can undergo transesophageal echo. If that shows no clot, you can proceed immediately but still must take medication for at least 3 weeks afterward.