Is there a birth control pill that causes infertility? I was pregnant in 2009 and had my son september 2009. He passed away of sids at 3 months. Since then i was on birth control for a year and since then me and my husband have been trying to conceive. We

Dr. Seth Derman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: No

While birth control pills sometimes can delay your cycles and the return of fertility, it does not cause infertility.
In some situations the pills may actually help you get pregnant just after you stop them. If you have been trying to get pregnant for a year or your cycles are regular, it is time to seek out help.

In brief: No

Dr. Seth Derman
Dr. Seth Derman
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: BIrth

Birth control using hormone therapy can affect a woman's regular mentral cycle.
Some women experience irregulality in their mentral cycles after stopping the birth control pill. When your cycle returns to normal, a woman's ability to concieve will typically resume as well. It will be important to ask your doctor or pharmacist about whether or not the birth control you are taking has a history of affecting a woman's cycle or fertility. Also, talk to your doctor about your desire to concieve. Many factors can contribute to difficulty getting pregant such as age and health status. Your doctor can make recommendations such as healthy lifestyle changes, prenatal care/vitamins and strategies for determining prime fertile times (ovulation time) for getting pregnant. Best of luck!

In brief: BIrth

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jonathan Jassey