How do women get pregnant?

Dr. Carlos Faviel font

In brief: Fusion of the embryo

Fusion of the embryo with the inner layer of the uterus which then becomes the support for the embryo to turn into a fetus and ultimately in 40 weeks time, a baby who can breathe on his own.
The implantation may take place outside the uterus, we call that ectopic pregnancy and it is dangerous for the mother.

In brief: Fusion of the embryo

Dr. Carlos Faviel font
Dr. Carlos Faviel font
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Of course, conception must occur first, that is a sperm must fertilize an egg before a woman can be considered pregnant.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: #1 union of gametes

When a sperm and an egg unite (in reproductive tract or dish), they form a blastocyst (which evolves into embryo then fetus).
That union is the beginning of a pregnancy. The miracle is that a healthy newborn results so often especially given all the steps that are needed and all the things that could go wrong.

In brief: #1 union of gametes

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder

In brief: Oh, my.

I would be glad to answer this question if i knew the level of information needed :0.

In brief: Oh, my.

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: How do I conceive

Most women become pregnant after having had unprotected sex around the time of ovulation.
Sperm can live in the female tract for about 3 days and so if you have relations within that time period you could become pregnant. During my training in montreal kids were having intrathigh copulation, nevertheless pregnancy occurred frequently (remember sperm are acitve), and can swim up the female tract.

In brief: How do I conceive

Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Jane Van Dis