How long should I be on blood thinners before I have a cardioversion procedure? I've been in atriol fibrulation for approx. 2 months

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Prior

Prior to recieving a cardioversion, your health care provider needs to ensure that there are no clots in the heart.
If there is a clot in the heart at the time of the cardioversion, the patient is at high risk for suffering a stroke or a heart attack. Upon the diagnosis of arrhythmia, a patient will be placed on a blood thinning regimen, typically 4-6 weeks prior to undergoing a cardioversion. (a blood test can be performed to ensure your levels are in 'therapeutic' range). However, the presence of clots anywhere in your body and heart could cause the cardioversion procedure to be postposed. Talk to your health care provider about why your procedure has been held.

In brief: Prior

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: 4 weeks

4 weeks before and 3 weeks after at a minimum. This is the standard of care.
Alternatively, you can undergo transesophageal echo. If that shows no clot, you can proceed immediately but still must take medication for at least 3 weeks afterward.

In brief: 4 weeks

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Umesh Patel