Is it true adults should not take aspirin with a fever? I am 48 and have a fever and am also on an aspirin a day regimen

Aspirin . Aspirin has been used for over 100 years to treat fever. Even though it is no longer considered "first-line" treatment for fever now that we have acetaminophen, Ibuprofen and Naproxen (fewer side-effects), Aspirin is still effective and relatively safe for adults. In large doses, it can be toxic to the liver and increase the risk of stomach bleeding and ulcers, so do not take more than directed. Children and adolescents should not take Aspirin because of a rare illness called reye's syndrome in which Aspirin coupled with a viral illness can lead to encephalitis and fatty liver disease. If you have any specific questions about Aspirin and it's long term effect on chronic health issues, you should contact your doctor to discuss. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.