16 yr old girl with insomnia and caused by breathing problems she wakes up feeling out of breath .When sleeping doesn"t feel like she gets enough air .Wakes up with headaches in the morning .Tired no matter how long she sleeps .Has a lack of concentration

Dr. Jane Velez
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Sleep apnea

Sleep apnea, the first thing that comes to mind, can be a dangerous disorder, which can lead to stroke.
She should be checked for sleep apnea and cardiac problems as well.

In brief: Sleep apnea

Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Jane Velez
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: It

It sounds as though she has the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea (osa).
Osa is fairly common in kids - about 1-10% of kids suffer from it. The most common cause of osa is enlargement of the adenoids and tonsils, though obesity, craniofacial syndromes, neuromuscular diseases, and other medical causes could be the culprit. At this point she needs a throrough history and physical by and ear, nose and throat specialist and maybe a sleep study to determine the cause and possibly fix the reason for the osa. There's really nothing else you can do at home at this point. Untreated, kids can go on to have attention deficit disorder, behavior problems, poor school performance, and heart and lung disease. As far as getting insurance goes, many states have coverage for kids under 18 and you should look into this by contacting a social worker at a local children's hospital. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: It

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Steven Seres