At what age do I need to start being tested for prostate cancer?

Dr. John Washburn

In brief: Depends

This is a controversial topic in modern medicine.
I would recommend you have a lengthy discussion with your doctor regarding the necessity for screening. Things like family history, symptoms, etc all come into play. You also need to be aware of the potential adverse effects of screening. You need to make an informed decision that goes beyond the kind of answer we can give you on this site.

In brief: Depends

Dr. John Washburn
Dr. John Washburn

In brief: Depends

Prostate cancer typically occurs in older patients.
Screening is usually performed with the prostate specific antigen test (psa). However before choosing to undergo screening, it is important to understand the possible outcomes of this testing. Not all prostate cancers are life threatening and treatment carries some risks of its own.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Sean Williamson
Dr. Sean Williamson
Dr. Robert Carroll
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Family History

Debate rages: family history is important. Refer to pubmed.Gov.

In brief: Family History

Dr. Robert Carroll
Dr. Robert Carroll

In brief: Age 40

The american urological association recommends prostate cancer screening for men age 40 and older. The interpretation of the results as well as the recommended follow-up are effected by many things including patient age, medical status, prior psa levels (if available), prior biopps biopsy results (if available), race, and family history.

In brief: Age 40

Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler