My 12 year old daughter is vomitting the food she has eaten. Can I give her some ondansetran hydrochloride tablets 8 mg? She also has some diahrea along with the vomitting. The symptoms just appeared today and she does not have a fever. What would be the

Not yet. Hold off on the medications for right now. Try and get your daughter to take some fluids (ginger ale or water) and wait for symptoms to subside. Talk to your pediatrician on call and discuss medications with them.
Whenever . Whenever a child has vomiting and diarrhea, her body is fighting an illness and is trying to get rid of a gastrointestinal toxin. Most likely this is a viral illness, but occasionally it can be bacterial, also. In either case, antidiarrheals can prolong the illness and antivomiting medications should not be given unless you are specifically told to do so by her doctor. The best course of action is to give her stomach a break for an hour or two and then restart hydration with clear fluids - an oral rehydration fluid such as pedialyte is ideal if the child also has diarrhea. Sometimes you have to feed the fluid to the child a tablespoon once a minute because a big gulp can trigger vomiting. If she does well with this after a couple hours, you can move on to bland foods. Reasons to call your child's doctor would be: -vomiting for more than 24 hours -diarrhea for more than 7 days -bright green or bloody vomit -bloody or black diarrhea -new fever -dehydration (no urination in 8 hours, dry mouth, no tears, dry or doughy skin) legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.