What are the symtoms of scarlet fever in a I year old child? What also are some of the long term effects of a I year old child after having scarlet fever un- checked for several days?

Scarlet . Scarlet fever is caused by group a streptoccoccus - the same bacteria that causes strep throat. The symptoms usually start 1-2 days after infection and include sore throat, fever, sand papery red rash, abdominal pain, muscle aches, headache, vomiting, swollen red tongue and/or bright red color in the creases of the underarm or groin. With proper antibiotic treatment, the symptoms typically improve quickly (2-3 days) though the rash can last for a few weeks. Long term complications are extremely rare with treatment. The most concerning complication is acute rheumatic fever which occurs around 20 days after the start of infection if the patient is not treated with antibiotics. This can cause permanent heart valve damage. Other rare complications of untreated strep are bone or joint problems, kidney problems, inflammation of a gland, ear infection, meningitis, pneumonia, or sinusitis. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Fever/sandpaper rash. A sandpaper like rash that starts in the groin & gradually spreads along with a red throat & fever suggest a strep a scarletina. Abx treatment up to 9-10 days from first fever can usually stop long term pbs. Kidney disease/rheumatic heart disease or neurological disorders will strike 1/200 untreated cases.