How can I have a MRI done on a arm that previously had surgery on it? I had surgery on my left arm and elbow.While in therapy from surgery i started having extreme pain in my arm that was operated on and was told to contact the surgeon i did and all he wo

Dr. Anthony Filly
Radiology

In brief: Not sure

If you are worried that the MRI will somehow be impacted by the surgery, it probably won't.
If there is metal in there it's still likely fine but there may be significant artifact in the scan.

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Anthony Filly
Dr. Anthony Filly
Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Without

Without knowing more about the type of surgery you had, there are several possibilities for persistent infection after surgery.
Assuming that you are generally healthy and don't have a circulation problem (which might occur if you have long standing diabetes, or an injury to the artery), then either there is a foreign body that is infected, or there is an underlying nidus of infection. In some cases, if the bone is chronically infected, also known as osteomyelitis, then prolonged antibiotics and/or operative debridement may be necessary to remove bone that is infected. If there is a foreign body, such as a screw or plate, or suture material, then it is possible that these are infected and may need to be removed. Diagnostic procedures may include mri, bone scan, and nature of bacteria infecting the wound. You may want to take your operative report and see another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion.

In brief: Without

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Vikram Patel