How should I get my ear infection dealt with? My ear infecion has caused so much pain that i can't bear it and I have completley lost hearing in my ear. This morning, i belevethat the infection has spread to my jaw and i can't afford a trip to the doctor'

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Crisis

Pain that is hard to withstand associated with hearing loss needs an immediate evaluation.
You need to see an er doctor right away or an ENT doctor if one has an immediate opening. The cost of permanent loss of hearing and the risk of the infection spreading and causing further damage or even death is too great.

In brief: Crisis

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Mark Loury
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Depends

If the pain started today or yesterday then take advil and/ or tylenol (acetaminophen) if not allergic.
About 2/3 of time will subside. If pain persists for > 2-3 days, fever, swelling behind ear, or draining ear then see md as might need antibiotics.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Mark Loury
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: With

With that amount of pain, loss of hearing and concern of spread, you must see a doctor to find out what is going on and get treatment as soon as possible.
One of the rare, but very serious complications of an untreated ear infection is a bone infection around the ear. If this is left untreated, it can lead to bony destruction, meningitis, stroke, and many other serious complications. If paying for the appointment is a problem, many offices are happy to work with you by setting up payment plans and sometimes giving discounts to people without insurance. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: With

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery