My 5 year old son went to the doctor for a school physical. His urine tested high for protein. The doctor has asked that we get a clean sample in the am. Just wondering what would cause the protein to be elevated?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Proteinuria

You child could have his proteinuria (p) caused by a glomerularnephritis, which is a disease of the nephron, the functional part of the kidney.
Ask your pediatrician to refer your child to a pediatric nephrologist if he p, to arrive at diagnosis and a treatment plan.

In brief: Proteinuria

Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Fred McCurdy
Your doctor is checking to see if the protein in your son's urine is absent after being in bed overnight. If this not the case, then seeing a pediatric nephrologist is a logical next step.
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: 5%-15%

5%-15% of all kids will have an elevated urine protein level on a single screening test.
The next step is usually to repeat the test - first thing in the morning is best because there is a non-harmful condition called "orthostatic proteinuria" where kids will have protein in their urine throughout the day, but not in the mornings. Other benign causes of urine protein are recent fever or physcial activity. The protein usually clears up in a few days which is why testing again is helpful. If additional urine tests do not have protein, then no need to worry. If your child continues to have protein in their urine after multiple tests, than your child's doctor may order additional urine and/or blood tests and imaging studies to look for kidney disease called nephropathy. Nephropathies can be caused by many things including infections, inheritied disorders, autoimmune problems, and sometimes we don't even know why it happens. Treatment typically depends on the cause of the problem. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: 5%-15%

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey