Can i be pregnant on birth control? Because I am late on my period. Should i be concern about being on birth control and missing my period for this month?

Dr. Paula Hillard

In brief: No method is 100%

No birth control method is 100%.
Are you using birth control pills?If so, even with perfect use (no missed or late pills), the failure rate is 0.3% (less than 1 couple/100 will get pregnant in the first year of use) or 9%-9/100 will get pregnant with typical use.Sometimes women who've been on the pill for awhile will skip a period.You should do a pregnancy test if you're worried or have missed pills.

In brief: No method is 100%

No birth control method is 100%.
Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: If

If you have been having regular periods while taking birth control and you have missed your period, that could be a sign you are pregnant.
Other things that could cause a missed period are stress and additional physical exertion (such as athletic training). It is important that you take your pill at the same time every day. Variations and missing birth control pills can decrease the effectiveness for preventing pregnancy. Also note that birth control pills are less than 100% effective. It is recommended you take a pregnancy test and follow up accordingly. See your doctor if your period does not come.

In brief: If

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jane Van Dis