Is it normal to think breast feeding is uncomfortable?

Dr. Jocelyn Chapman
Many new mothers find breast feeding uncomfortable.
Ensuring proper latch and fully emptying breasts every few hours will help with discomfort.

Dr. Jocelyn Chapman
Dr. Jocelyn Chapman
Dr. Carol Jacobs
In brief: Sure
Our country sexualizes breasts and doesn't promote the benefit and beauty of nourishing your child.
I tell my new moms who are uncomfortable that any new task filled with responsibility can feel daunting. But most of my moms who relax and try often find it a great experience. Talk to your partner - if the man is very against it studies show you may not be successful. Also chat with your Pedi MD.

In brief: Sure
Dr. Carol Jacobs
Dr. Carol Jacobs
Dr. Richard Roberts
tweak your nipple between thumb and forefinger starting a month prior to delivery to toughen them up, and avoid the sometimes significant soreness initially caused by a first-time nursing infant.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
The first few weeks it can be uncomfortable especially at the first latch.
It does improve with time. If it is painful and not improving that suggests a poor latch and you would benefit from a lactation specialist consultation.

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham