My 19 month old has watery eyes and green sticky booogers in them this morning they were swollen shut she could not open them she doesn't seem extra cranky about it she has had it before and it cleared up her sister also had it and it cleared up but thi

Dr. Benjamin Chun
Ophthalmology

In brief: Conjunctivitis

Possibly viral vs bacterial conjunctivitis.
I recommend you take your child to an ophthalmologist for an exam.

In brief: Conjunctivitis

Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Conjunctivitis

Conjunctivitis (also known as pink eye) can be caused by a viral infection, bacterial infection, allergic reaction, foreign body in the eye, or chemical irritation.
The most common symptoms in one or both eyes are redness, itchiness, discharge or crusting, and tearing. A doctor will be able to narrow down which type your child has. Both viral and bacterial conjunctivitis are very contagious - up to 2 weeks after symptoms start! it is important to see your doctor for proper treatment not only to help your child improve faster, but to protect others from catching it, too. In the mean time, good hand washing is a must to prevent the spread of it to the rest of the family. Also, applying warm, clean, wet compresses to the eyes can alleviate some of the discomfort and help clean some of the discharge out of the eyes. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Conjunctivitis

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jane Van Dis