No bm x 4 days-what to do? 5 year old female/down syndrome increased fluids/fruit/vegetables

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Constipation

Sounds like you have tried the usual approaches.
Talk to your doctor about stool softener and medications like miralax (polyethylene glycol).

In brief: Constipation

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Constipation

Constipation is a common problem for many children.
Luckily, it is usually temporary and is treated long term with dietary changes such as what you stated above - increasing fruits and vegetables and drinking plenty of fluids. Occasionally, however, this just isn't enough to do the trick. Sometimes certain laxatives can be helpful on a "once-in-a-while" basis. Polyethylene glycol is relatively safe, now offered over the counter and it is usually pretty effective as a stool softener. This is helpful because it usually "melts" the bm so the child does not have to pass a large stool. You may want to contact your child's doctor before purchasing this product for instructions and dosage. Another tactic is glycerine suppositories which lubricate the stool for easier passage, but once again, contact your child's doctor prior to using. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Constipation

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham