Is my ear infection getting worse? I've already been diagnosed with a pretty bad ear infection and they said I have a lot of wax. I've been on amoxicillan for 5 days and i still can't hear. Now my left ear (the previously healthy one is plugging up. The p

Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Ears plugged

If you have a lot of wax, this can cause hearing loss.
The bigger question is whether or not the ear drum could be seen as a result of the ear wax. If not, how could they tell you had an ear infection. Best to see someone who can clear out the ear wax and examine your ears properly. Would strongly recommend an ear, nose and throat specialist to help you out.

In brief: Ears plugged

Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Well,

Well, it sounds as though you have a few unrelated problems going on.
Let's deal with them one at a time. First, you've been diagnosed with an ear infection and placed on Amoxicillin (a safe choice for pregnant and breast feeding women). If you have no improvement in 24 to 48 hours in pain or fever, your ear infection may not clearing as well as would be expected and you may need to go in for a re-evaluation. That being said, if your only complaint is that your ear feels plugged and you're having difficulty hearing, this could be from ear fluid or from wax impaction. Frequently after an ear infection, fluid can remain behind your ear drum for up to a month. There are no medications that can get rid of this - only time or having an ear surgeon poke a hole in your ear drum to let the fluid out. The fluid is the result of the eustachian tube (the tube that connects your middle ear to your throat) not functioning correctly. This can happen from a cold, sinus infection, allergies, or an altitude change like flying in a plane. Many people also complain about a "plugged" feeling or difficulty hearing when they have a wax impaction such as what you were told you have. You can try over the counter solutions for wax or you can go to an ear, nose and throat doctor and have them clean out your ear with a microscope and special instruments. They can also tell you if anything else is going on with your ears if you are still having symptoms. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Well,

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen