What are the alternatives to hip and knee replacement? I just had a left hip replacement and do not want to go through it again. The procedure put a tremendous strain on my right knee and right hip. Now my right knee swells up a bit each day. I have hear

Exercise and medicin. Once recovered from the hip replacement, the opposite knee should feel better. In general, for hip and knee arthritis, exercise, muscle strengthening and stretching are very important to slow the progression. Medicines like anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections and lubricant injections may decrease the pain symptoms. Weight loss helps--every 10 lbs lost decreases 70 lbs of force!
I . I am sorry to hear that you had a difficult time with your hip replacement. Joint replacement has a very high success rate. The alternatives to hip replacement include occasional steroid injections in the hip using a special xray machine or ultrasound device. Supplements such as fish oil, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate have helped some patients in relieving pain in their joints. Your mileage may vary. Along with steroid injections, there are alos viscosupplementation injections available for injection inte knee. Bracing can be beneficial if the arthritis is limited to one side of the knee. The use of a cane in the opposite hand of an affected joint will decrease force by 50% across the painful joint. Unfortunately at this point stem cell research is in the infancy stage and there are no treatments on the horizon that will replace joint replacement at this time. I hope this helps.