Does cleft lip and palate surgery leave behind a lot of scarring? My son will have his first cleft lip and palate surgery next month, and I'm concerned about scarring. Do the reconstruction surgeries normally cause a lot of scarring? Is scar removal a com

All . All surgery leaves scars.The quality and the location of the scar is the important factor(assuming excellent tech)it is very important to investigate your surgeons training & reputation. .
Yes and no. The first surgery is for gross closure and much of it's cosmetic success is depending upon what the surgeon has to work with. There will be many opportunites for revision of the scar as the child grows and the end result should be fine. The first surgery puts you in the ballpark. The seats are arranged later.
Possible. The technology today in cleft lip and palate reconstruction is very good. The scarring is usually minimal and not noticeable. Many famous people you've seen on tv have had cleft lip surgery and you don't even know it. I wouldn't worry about the scarring; the most important thing is restoring form and function to your child's mouth.