I had venus closure surgery for my varicose veins. It was not successful. What are my options? I need to try another option to rid my legs of these very painful and unsightly veins.

Dr. George Clark
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: See an expert

Closure is over 95% successful, but not 100%.
Either the procedure did not ablate the vein or there is another source of the problem such as an accessory vein. See an md with experience dealing with venous disease. Would steer you away from your prior treating md. At the very least need an ultraound to delineate what went wrong.

In brief: See an expert

Dr. George Clark
Dr. George Clark
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Vein Specialist.

I practice in an area where i see people who have been treated all over the world so I have a chance to see many recurrences of veins and failures from prior therapy.
My approach is always to do a venous ultrasound to identity the anatomy and look for the cause of the recurrent vein or why the original treatment did not work. See a vein specialist who will formulate a treatment plan for you.

In brief: Vein Specialist.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Need more treatment

As dr. Clark said, vein treatment is never 100% successful.
Although it is 95% likely that your closure procedure was successful in closing the the vein that it treated, there is clearly more work to do. Another venous ultrasound is needed to find out where the problem is. Then it can be treated and your results will be better.

In brief: Need more treatment

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Trent Proffitt
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Depends

"unsuccessful" could mean a lot of things.
The main rzns for not meeting expectations after ablations are unreasonable goals, failure to close the vein, other veins that don't work, or that the vein ablated is not the dysfunctional vein that is causing the problem.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Trent Proffitt
Dr. Trent Proffitt
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Varicose veins

Occasionally a thermal ablation procedure will not be successful.
However, a repeat of the thermal ablation procedure, either with closure or with laser would be advisable. Sometimes the failure to close is due to a very large size vein.I would advise a redo of the procedure, either the closure or laser ablation.

In brief: Varicose veins

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Gregory Laurence
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Venous

Venous closure uses radiowave energy to destroy diseased veins.
It has a very high success rate. It is so rare that most doctors would "make good" on the treatment with a complimentary higher energy re-treatment with the same technique for with an alternate technique. In my office we would treat with tumescent anesthesia to numb the leg and "push the blood out of the vein". Then we would use a "double injury" laser and microfoam combination treatment. You would immediately return to work with a 99% chance of success.

In brief: Venous

Dr. Gregory Laurence
Dr. Gregory Laurence
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery