5 weeks baby crying non stop, no bowel movement in 2 days what should I do have changed bottles, formulas, added karo syprup, warmed bottles mycon drops

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Go to Pediatrician

We do not stay at home when our infants are not well.
This is an emergency. Please get to the baby doctor urgently. That means now!

In brief: Go to Pediatrician

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Constipation

Constipation is the passage of a dry, hard stool - not necessarily the absence of daily stool.
If you suspect your child may be crying because he is ill, call your child's doctor. That being said, constipation is common in infants and there are a couple things you can do to help. 1.) give pear or prune juice - 1oz/age in months/day so in your case 1 oz. Not only does prune or pear juice have sugar which can help soften bms, but also has fiber (notice the gritty texture when you drink it?). This does not mean that you should be feeding your baby juice as a part of his regular diet, but it's ok in daily small amounts to treat constipation. 2.) if juice does not work, then you can try a glycerine suppository which you can buy over the counter. Just cut a pea-sized piece of the glycerine and place it in the baby's anus to lubricate the hard stool. This is not meant for daily use, so if you find that your baby needs a suppository in order to have a bm despite dietary changes, discuss with your child's doctor. 3.) do not use mineral oil, laxatives or enemas. These methods are not safe for infants. 4.) finally, if constipation is persistent and not improved with any of the above recommendations, be sure to contact your baby's doctor. There are some very rare underlying disorders such as hirschprung's disease, cystic fibrosis or hypothyroidism that can cause chronic constipation. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Constipation

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey