How effective is argon laser trabeculoplasty as a glaucoma treatment? I have primary open-angle glaucoma and my doctor has recommended argon laser trabeculoplasty surgery. Is this an effective glaucoma treatment? Are there any serious risks or side effect

Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology

In brief: Laser

Laser trabeculoplasty is effective at reducing the eye pressure in about 85% of patients.
The remaining 15% do not get a pressure reduction, but these patients are no worse off. Complications are very rare with laser trabeculoplasty.

In brief: Laser

Dr. Douglas Liva
Laser Trabeculoplasty is effective, but to increase safety I would recommend Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty over Argon since it's efficacy is similar but uses much less energy and is safer to perform repetitively.
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Ophthalmology

In brief: Yes and no

Most doctors have favored slt, selective laser trabeculoplasty over alt because it doesnt cause holes in the trabecular meshwork (drain of your eye) and its repeatable, up to 5-7 times.
Alt is very effective, however slt is just as if not more effective and can be repeated multiple times.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. William Forsythe