Can the type of anesthesia used during abdominal liposuction affect the recovery i experience after the surgery? I am thinking about having abdominal liposuction for some excess fat around my back/bra line. Is it common to just use local anesthesia for th

Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: See below

The plastic surgeon will probably request a general anesthetic for the procedure.
The anesthetic drugs used will be gone very quickly and will not affect your recovery. The pain medications that the surgeon orders will be more important in your recovery. Local anesthesia on its own is not likely to be used.

In brief: See below

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

Recovering from anesthesia is fast but can some times be with nausea and other symptoms.
However, most of your recovery is based on how much fat is removed, not so much the type of anestheisa. Little fat is removed under local and more and sometimes much more when you are completely under. So yo umay give the credit to local anesthesia.

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Anesthesia

Anesthesia methods vary by physician.
Some are comfortable performing liposuction under local anesthesia only. Others use a general anesthesia and still others use some type of sedation. Personally, i feel that liposuction under local anesthesia only can be a very uncomfortable procedure for patients and I do not recommend it for anything other than small, isolated areas. The back and bra line have fairly tough, fibrous fat and can be difficult to do. This is not an area where i would offer local anesthesia. The post-operative recovery will only be affected for the first 24 hours or so as you recover from any anesthesia.

In brief: Anesthesia

Anesthesia methods vary by physician.
Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
Dr. Jeffrey Kyllo
Dr. Ernesto Pretto
Anesthesiology

In brief: Maybe

It depends on the extent of the liposuction.
If a wide area will be lipo suctioned then you may require general anesthesia, in which case the recovery will depend on the anesthesia given.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Ernesto Pretto
Dr. Ernesto Pretto
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham