How long does it take to recover from inguinal hernia surgery? I’m having surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. What is the recovery like? How long before I can lift and carry things again?

There . There are several different ways to repair an inguinal hernia. A traditional repair involves an incision over the area of the hernia and the placement of a plastic mesh material to plug or cover the defect. Alternatively, your surgeon may perform a laparoscopic hernia repair which involves making a few incisions near your navel and placing mesh in front of the hernia. Generally, the recovery from a laparoscopic hernia repair is shorter and involves less pain. One can usually return to regular activities within a few days to a week. Traditional hernia repairs usually require a longer recovery (3-5 weeks) but can be performed under local anesthetic meaning the patient does not have to have a full general anesthetic. This is beneficial for some patients who may not tolerate general anesthesia. You should speak with your surgeon about all your options as every patient has unique conditions which may influence how the surgeon may recommend proceeding.
See Below. The recovery from inguinal hernia surgery is dependent upon the method of repair (laparoscopic vs. Open), the health and age of the patient, and the level of activity that one is striving for. In general, most people who undergo laparoscopic repair are in pain that requires medication for 2-3 days and may return to a desk job within 7-10 days; work that requires heavy lifting may take 3 weeks of recovery. In general, these numbers should be doubled when recovering from an "open" repair. Of course, the best person to ask is your surgeon: they know the unique nature of your hernia and the operation performed.
It . It depends on how the surgery is performed, such as open or laparoscopic approach. The discomfort is usually moderate the first few days, controlled with oral pain medications. You can usually lift light things less than about 20 pounds when you feel comfortable, soon after surgery. Heavier items or heavy exercises may need about 4 to 6 weeks before you should do those things.