Is it true that having a chin implant could cause facial nerve damage? I want to have chin implant surgery to correct a weak jaw line. I've heard that this procedure sometimes causes nerve damage and patients look like they have suffered a stroke. What ar

A. A chin implant placed by a well trained facial plastic surgeon should be a relatively simple procedure. While there are risks associated with this procedure--they are extremely rare. What you are describing is an injury to the facial nerve and specifically the marginal mandibular branch (causes the corner of the mouth to be pulled down such as in a frown or even slightly in a smile) which could cause some asymmetry in your smile but not so severe as to be confused with a stroke. Having said this, I have never seen or even heard of this nerve being damaged during a chin implant. There is a sensory nerve (feeling only) in the area that is more at risk. It is the mandibular branch of the trigeminal nerve and again it is only for sensation. An injury to this nerve would cause a spot of numbness to the chin and lower lip on the side that was injured. I have heard of some temporary numbness after chin implant surgery (few to several weeks) but never a permanent one. This is most likely due to the swelling and inflammation after surgery. I hope this helps!
Chin. I prefer chin repositioning than an implant. It looks more natural. Either procedure have low chance of nerve damage. This nerve is sensory and not motor. So other people will not notice, if there is a deficiency. Remember, chin surgery is not a replacement for jaw surgery.
Yes. As an orthodontist, I frequently work with oral surgeons. I prefer (as do my surgical colleagues) to surgically reposition the bony chin. It requires sectioning the chin, moving it forward and then fixating it in its new placement. I think this is a better alternative to the implantation of a foreign body (implant). Having said all that, all surgical procedures carry the risk of nerve disruption.