What should I do about a month long bout of loose stools and diarrhea? I returned from hilton head a month ago. I ate a lot of fish and fresh shrimp. The diarrhea started after i returned.

Dr. Hillel Naon
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology

In brief: See your doctor

See your doctor and get evaluated for possible infectious cause, celiac disease, or newly onset inflammatory bowel disease.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Hillel Naon
Dr. Hillel Naon
Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Foodborne

Foodborne illness from eating contaminated food is estimated to cause 48 million illnesses and 3, 000 deaths in the United States each year. The onset of symptoms ranges from minutes to days to weeks after ingestion of the contaminated food.
The affected person may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or fever. There is a wide range of offending agents, from bacteria to parasites to viruses. Shellfish can be contaminated when human waste is introduced into the water that shellfish live. Offending agents in shellfish include campylobacter jejuni, vibrio cholerae, vibrio vulnificus, and a variety of salmonella species. In addition, hepatitis a, a virus that can cause liver disease, can be transmitted by contaminated shellfish. While many healthy individuals have self-limited symptoms, in some patients that are immunosuppressed, very young or very elderly, or if symptoms persist or are severe (such as bloody diarrhea, excessive nausea and vomiting, or high temperature), call your doctor to be tested and treated.

In brief: Foodborne

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Adam Smith