Does a corneal transplant improve the looks of a damaged cornea much? My cornea in my right eye has been severely damaged after a car accident. My doctor has suggested me to undergo a corneal transplant to replace my damaged cornea. Will my cornea look he

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Corneal transplant

Central cornea will be much clearer but periphery of cornea and any iris abnormality will still be present.

In brief: Corneal transplant

Dr. Brad Feldman
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: If

If a cornea transplant is performed to replace a dense corneal scar, the post-operative appearance of the cornea is typically much clearer and more normal than the pre-operative scar. A full-thickness cornea transplant replaces the central 8-9mm of a 10-11mm cornea, so it may not remove all of the abnormal tissue, but about 75% of the tissue should be clear after a successful surgery.

In brief: If

Dr. John Cason
Ophthalmology

In brief: I

I agree with dr. Feldman's comments entirely.
More importantly, you stand a good chance to have improved vision and function after a cornea transplant. There are always risks involved with any surgery and your surgeon should discuss these with you. However, if your current vision is very poor from the scar and you are otherwise a good candidate for a transplant, then you should benefit greatly from the surgery. Good luck! best regards, jc.

In brief: I

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine