If I have prostatitis could I give my girlfriend an std?

Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Probably not, but...

Prostatitis is not an STD, and for sure doesn't carry any risk for your girlfriend.
However, you need to be sure of the diagnosis. Some STDs can mimic prostatitis, and some doctors don't really understand the difference. If your apparent prostatitis really is nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) or a chlamydial infection, then your gf could be at risk. Discuss with your doctor.

In brief: Probably not, but...

Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. H. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Patricio Gargollo
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: No

Not unless you have an std as well.
If you have bacterial prostatitis that is almost always caused from bacteria normally found in the colon...Not by the typed of oorganisms that cause std's.

In brief: No

Not unless you have an std as well.
Dr. Patricio Gargollo
Dr. Patricio Gargollo
Dr. Adam Levy