Is tumescent liposuction less invasive than typical liposuction? I'm looking for a way to reduce my love-handles. Is tumescent liposuction less risky than regular liposuction because local anesthetic is an option?

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

Tumescent liposuction is the most commonly performed type of liposuction.
Most would say that traditional liposuction is tumescent liposuction.

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Choose Surgeon

I would suggest that you concentrate your efforts on selecting your board-certified plastic surgeon as opposed to trying to determine what "technology” will be less risky.
The terminology used for liposuction surgery can be quite confusing/misleading. Again, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make when it comes to safety and outcome. Best wishes.

In brief: Choose Surgeon

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: You are confusing

Tumescence is a technique to reduce the amount of blood loss with liposuction and to make fat removal easier. It has nothing to do with its invasiveness.
Almost all methods of liposuction (traditional, power asssited, ultrasonic, laser etc) use tumescence, being under local or general anesthesia. On the contrary, using local anesthetics with tumescence adds more risks to it

In brief: You are confusing

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Result

Result are ok and you have higher risk of contour irregularities.
I do both and i only recommend lipo to be done at the hospital under general anesthesia. Please consult with a real board certified plastic surgeon.

In brief: Result

Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Dr. Dennis Dass
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Liposuction

Liposuction is real surgery and the risks of liposuction are the same whether it is done under local or under general anesthesia.
Tumescent fluid is always used during liposuction (local or general anesthesia) to reduce blood loss. The major risks of liposuction include: bleeding, infection, pain, multiple small scars, contour irregularity, asymmetry, seromas, blood clots, and fat embolism. Tumescent anesthesia for liposuction is a technique that adds local anesthetic to the tumescent fluid to allow liposuction to be performed without a general anesthetic. This can be done safely for small areas, however becomes risky for large treatment areas as the local anesthetic doses can reach toxic levels. General anesthesia is very safe and you would be additionally monitored by an anesthetist. For more info: http://www.Dassmd.Com/liposuction/tumescent-liposuction-san-diego.Html http://www.Dassmd.Com/liposuction/index.Html.

In brief: Liposuction

Dr. Dennis Dass
Dr. Dennis Dass