What foods should be given or avoided to prevent dehydration caused by diarrhea? My child has diarrhea and i’m afraid he will become dehydrated if it gets any worse. What are the best foods to give him to keep is fluid levels up and prevent further stomac

Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice

In brief: BRAT

Bread, rice, applesauce and tea.
Its called the brat diet. Keep up with fluid loses by giving pedialyte, an electrolyte solution for kids.

In brief: BRAT

Bread, rice, applesauce and tea.
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Diarrheal

Diarrheal illnesses are very common in kids and adults.
That being said, here are a few symptoms that should prompt you to call your child's doctor right away: -fever higher than 102f -diarrhea with blood or mucus -severe or prolonged diarrhea (more than 7 days) -vomiting or refusal to take liquids -severe abdominal pain -dehydration now if your child does not have any of these things, here are a few tips to keep them hydrated at home: -an oral rehydration fluid such as pedialyte can be helpful since it contains electrolytes -do not offer juice, plain water, sports drinks, chicken broth, ginger ale, soda, tea, or jell-o. They do not have the right balance of salt and sugar and can worsen diarrhea. -continuing a regular diet has been shown to shorten the duration of illness, so continue their normal diet plus additional fluids to replace losses. -do not give over-the-counter anti-diarrheal medications unless instructed to do so by your doctor. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.

In brief: Diarrheal

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Marsha Davis