I had cataract surgery and corneal transplant (dsek). The corneal slipped and a "refloat" was done. It had "scratched" from stretching the cornea and vision was blurred. How many corneal transplants can be performed on the same eye with positive results?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Dsaek

Dsaek surgery can be repeated if unsuccessful.
Refloats can be needed but only in uncommon cases. See a corneal surgeon.

In brief: Dsaek

Dr. John Cason
Ophthalmology

In brief: DSAEK

Dsaek can be repeated with good results.
It is a relatively new procedure so there is not a lot of research on multiple repeats. Provided that there is not a lot of cornea scarring then the vision should be quite good. That being said, vision expectations after dsaek should not be 20/20. The vision is frequently a little less than that (average 20/30-20/50). I recommend visiting a cornea specialist who did fellowship training in corneal transplantation. If you have significant scarring then you could benefit from a full-thickness cornea transplant. You also need a full eye exam to make sure that your retina and optic nerve is healthy. Best regards, jc.

In brief: DSAEK

Dr. Hussain Elhalis
Ophthalmology

In brief: Each case is unique

As long as the immune system and rejection isn't the cause of transplant failure, then repeat dsek has a high chance of success.
If your graft rejected then the success of each transplant is successively lower. Good luck.

In brief: Each case is unique

Dr. John Cason
Ophthalmology

In brief: Provided

Provided that you don't have any secondary cataract, visual field or retina problems then there could be problems still with the cornea.
Sometimes the best solution is to repeat the dsaek. Other times it is best to do a full thickness corneal transplant, especially if there is already significant scarring in your native cornea. I recommend discussing this in detail with your cornea specialist or get a second opinion. Best of luck! best regards, jc.

In brief: Provided