How does the fluid injected during tumescent liposuction minimize bleeding? I read that during tumescent liposuction my doctor will inject salt water, adrenaline, and anesthetic into my fat before it is suctioned out. This supposedly reduces bleeding. Why

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Epinephrine

Epinephrine or adrenaline, is a vaso spastic medication that make your small blood vessels shot down for about three hours.
During that time, liposuction cannula which may disrupt a few blood vessels, will not cause any major bleeding.

In brief: Epinephrine

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. George Pope
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Adrenaline does it

Adrenaline is a powerful chemical that your body produces naturally.
It constricts blood vessels and makes your heart pump faster. That's why your heart beats faster when you get nervous or scared. It's injected during lipo to shrink down blood vessels, thereby minimizing bleeding.

In brief: Adrenaline does it

Dr. George Pope
Dr. George Pope
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Epinephrine

Epinephrine (adrenaline) will cause your blood vessels to contract which decreases the amount of bleeding.
Using this technique, for every liter of fat removed you loose about 10 ml of blood.

In brief: Epinephrine

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Adrenaline

Adrenaline is a vasoconstrictor and vessels will bleed less.
Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

In brief: Adrenaline

Dr. Ofer Rodriguez
Dr. Ofer Rodriguez