Could a recent car accident cause an old compression fracture to cause pain? I was in a car accident back in april. I have been experiencing severe back pain since the 1st of may. I had a X-ray done and then a mri. The results of the X-ray said i had a co

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Probably not

An old compression fracture is almost always healed and so should not cause pain.
The exception to this is a vertebral fracture which went on to a nonunion, which is fairly uncommon. It is much more likely that there is another cause to your pain and often a detailed exam and review of the MRI closely can reveal other causes. Thank you for the question.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD, Psychiatrist agrees
Dr. Andreas Meier
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: It

It is possible that the car accident has aggravated the old fracture site explaining the pain.

In brief: It

Dr. Andreas Meier
Dr. Andreas Meier